22.2.14

10% Of Child Burns Are Caused By Hair Straighteners. Turn Them OFF!

Hair straighteners are now as much a part of our lives as a toothbrush; they provide an essential addition to our beauty routines and are often used more than the kettle and microwave combined. However, hair straighteners are responsible for 50% of the marks on my bedroom carpet - because we've all left them on without realising and lived to regret it. Now that straighteners can reach temperatures of over 220°C, many can take up to forty minutes to cool down completely after use. They can cause severe burns if they touch the skin (I've got marks on my arms to prove it,) with nearly half of all adults having been burned by an electrical appliance in their lifetime. Children are particularly vulnerable as their skin can be 15 times thinner than adults, meaning they're more susceptible to serious damage.


The number of hair straightener burns among children has doubled in recent years, now accounting for nearly one in ten. The majority of these incidents are when toddlers touch, grab or tread on the hot hair straightener plates because they've been left hot and unattended. It's so easy to turn your straighteners off immediately after use and put them away in a safe place, ensuring your loved ones are protected - but so many of us are still putting children in potential harms way. A new campaign by the Electrical Safety Council aims to highlight this growing issue and ensure both adults and children are safe. The hard hitting video illustrates simply how much damage a straightener can do, so make sure you turn them off and keep your little ones safe.

To find out more about the campaign check out the Electrical Safety Council website.
Follow them on Twitter here: @OfficialESC
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© London Beauty Queen | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig