Debenhams says: "Northern and Scottish ladies are drawn to glamorous fragrances with a sweet, edible ‘gourmand’ edge. They choose the most ‘girly’ of fragrances with the current bestseller in the region, Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb. Southerners opt for more masculine fragrances with an edge, such as Clinique Aromatics Elixir. Men’s fragrances are also popular with Southern girls who wear them on a night out for a more distinctive, dramatic scent. Women in the Midlands and Wales are the most traditional, opting for the enduring classic perfumes such as Chanel No. 5 and Chanel Coco Mademoiselle. Irish women are plumping for fresh, light fragrances, even through the winter months, choosing Calvin Klein Euphoria and Marc Jacobs Daisy."
Research from Debenhams also showed:
- Northern women are very loyal to perfume brands and invest in big bottles that last months
- Southern women are much more likely to buy several small bottles of fragrance that they interchange on a regular basis
- Northern women spritz the most – topping up their perfume in the morning, lunchtime and often twice in the evening
- Southern women are more likely to go fragrance free during the day, keeping a bottle in their handbags or office draw ready for a night out
- Northern women wouldn’t even consider borrowing their man’s scent – less than 5 per cent have done so
- Southern women are frequent offenders and borrow their partner’s aftershave on average once a fortnight
Ruth Attridge, spokesperson for Debenhams says, “We see the same trends in fragrance as we do in fashion. Just as Northern women snap up our party dresses and highest heels, they also love the most feminine sweet scents. In the South however, it’s distinctive, often masculine fragrances that are teamed with a more edgy style."
Having been a southerner for all of my life, but with my family living ooop north for the last ten years I can say that there's a distinct difference in taste, fashion, attitude and beauty products across the invisible border. But does this really transfer to scent too? Are you a northerner/southerner and use any of the fragrances they've mentioned? Be good to get your thoughts!